My Thoughts On Going 1:1 Part 1

This is the first post in a multi-part series for the Summer of 2014

I wanted to share some of my thoughts, ideas, suggestions, helpful tips on embarking on our digital learning initiative (aka 1:1 with Chromebooks) at the Senior High.

My First Classroom
Now, before you say, "What does Mickie know about teaching in a 1:1 classroom?", consider where I have been. I spent seventeenish years as a business teacher. I worked for three different school districts during that time. In each school my "classroom" was a computer lab. Each of my students had a computer to use during my classes. I was 1:1 before 1:1 was a thing! So I do think I have something to offer when it comes to teaching in a 1:1 classroom environment.

This series of blog posts will give you some "food for thought" when it comes to each of your students having a device to use during your classes. I am by no means saying "Do it this way!" Rather, I am giving you some things to consider from the perspective of someone who has been there.

My first tip is establish a routine. And my suggestion would be for you to have your students start class with their Chromebook lids closed. Chromebooks have an 8 second start up time and that is from a completely powered off state. You will not have to wait for your students to access their Chromebook like you have to wait for students to log in to the desktop computers in the computer lab. Starting class with the Chromebook lids closed will allow you to take attendance and set the stage for the day with your students focused on you and not what is on their Chromebook.

So begin thinking about how you will incorporate the Chromebooks into your beginning of class routine.

Comments