Monday, June 23, 2014

My Thoughts on Going 1:1 Part 2

This is the second post in a multi-part series for the Summer of 2014

I wanted to share some of my thoughts, ideas, suggestions, helpful tips on embarking on our digital learning initiative (aka 1:1 with Chromebooks) at the Senior High.

My First Classroom
Now, before you say, "What does Mickie know about teaching in a 1:1 classroom?", consider where I have been. I spent seventeenish years as a business teacher. I worked for three different school districts during that time. In each school my "classroom" was a computer lab. Each of my students had a computer to use during my classes. I was 1:1 before 1:1 was a thing! So I do think I have something to offer when it comes to teaching in a 1:1 classroom environment.

This series of blog posts will give you some "food for thought" when it comes to each of your students having a device to use during your classes. I am by no means saying "Do it this way!" Rather, I am giving you some things to consider from the perspective of someone who has been there.

In the first post, I suggested establishing a routine for using the Chromebooks. My second suggestion is consider where your teacher desk is located. For most teachers, the teacher's desk is located at the front of the room. In my classrooms, my desk was located in the back of the room. Why? Because I wanted to know what the students were doing on their computers when I as sitting at my desk. Now if you don't care what students are doing on their Chromebooks you can leave your desk where it is at. Or if you do care and you don't want to rearrange your room, you will need to get up from behind your desk and walk over and see what your students are doing!

So think about how your classroom is arranged. Does it need to change? Do you care what students are doing on their Chromebooks? If so, how will you know?

The next post in this series will share my favorite apps for using Chromebooks with students, Two Feet and Two Eyes. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome point. I will definitely need to rearrange my classroom, so I can keep an eye on Chromebook use while at my desk. The only stationary cord I have in my classroom is the one that runs to my LG TV. I could always set up a smaller desk at the front of my classroom to use when hooking up my computer to the TV. Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point. You might not have to rearrange your entire room but just a small table at the back where you could work would be a good fix. We obviously will not be able to rewire everyone's room! Another option might be to have students close their Chromebook lids when your lesson is done. Nothing saying that students have to use the Chromebooks the entire period. Just another thought...

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!