Monday, June 30, 2014

My Thoughts on Going 1:1 Part 3

This is the third post in a multi-part series for the Summer of 2014

I wanted to share some of my thoughts, ideas, suggestions, helpful tips on embarking on our digital learning initiative (aka 1:1 with Chromebooks) at the Senior High.

My First Classroom
Now, before you say, "What does Mickie know about teaching in a 1:1 classroom?", consider where I have been. I spent seventeenish years as a business teacher. I worked for three different school districts during that time. In each school my "classroom" was a computer lab. Each of my students had a computer to use during my classes. I was 1:1 before 1:1 was a thing! So I do think I have something to offer when it comes to teaching in a 1:1 classroom environment.

This series of blog posts will give you some "food for thought" when it comes to each of your students having a device to use during your classes. I am by no means saying "Do it this way!" Rather, I am giving you some things to consider from the perspective of someone who has been there.

My favorite apps to use with students and Chromebooks are Two Feet and Two Eyes. And they work best when used together!

When I want to know what a student is doing on his or her Chromebook, I start by using the Two Feet app. I get up out of my seat from behind my desk and I walk over to the student. It is at this point I activate the Two Eyes app and I look at the student's Chromebook screen.

Now this is of course a tongue in cheek way to look at this situation but also a good piece of advice. I learned very early on in my teaching career that if I gave students an assignment on the computer and then sat down behind my desk to monitor them, that students could/would get off task and more importantly, students wouldn't ask me questions if I was behind my desk. Once I started walking around the room, monitoring what students were doing, hands went up as I went by, questions were asked and students stayed on task. So in each of my classrooms, a path was worn around the desks because I would walk it every period of every day. (If you go down to Eric Brandl's room and look very closely, you will probably see my path.)

So if you want to know what students are doing on their Chromebooks, use my favorite apps Two Feet and Two Eyes!

1 comment:

  1. LOL...nice! Unfortunately when I (a tech guy) suggest such a thing I get berated! It could be my "method of delivery" though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!