Monday, July 7, 2014

My Thoughts on Going 1:1 Part 4

This is the fourth post in a multi-part series for the Summer of 2014

I wanted to share some of my thoughts, ideas, suggestions, helpful tips on embarking on our digital learning initiative (aka 1:1 with Chromebooks) at the Senior High.

My First Classroom
Now, before you say, "What does Mickie know about teaching in a 1:1 classroom?", consider where I have been. I spent seventeenish years as a business teacher. I worked for three different school districts during that time. In each school my "classroom" was a computer lab. Each of my students had a computer to use during my classes. I was 1:1 before 1:1 was a thing! So I do think I have something to offer when it comes to teaching in a 1:1 classroom environment.

This series of blog posts will give you some "food for thought" when it comes to each of your students having a device to use during your classes. I am by no means saying "Do it this way!" Rather, I am giving you some things to consider from the perspective of someone who has been there.

Each student will ultimately be responsible for the care of his or her Chromebook. But we can all keep a watchful eye out and help our students learn to be good stewards of school property. You can help by making sure that Chromebooks are in the school issued cases at all times. By enforcing proper Chromebook use and care in your room, we can assure that Chromebooks are being well cared for. For example, encourage your students to carry the Chromebook with two hands, lid closed. Remind students not to pick the Chromebooks up by the screen or to flop the screen back and forth--the screen and the hinges are the most delicate parts of these Chromebooks. Let students know that it is not okay to close the Chromebook lid with anything between the screen and keyboard (pencils, papers, books). Do not let students pile other books on top of the Chromebook. If you notice the student has decorated his or her Chromebook with stickers, remind them that this is against policy and report them. Most of these things are common sense but as we know with high school students, reminders will be needed.

Routine Chromebook "health checks" will be conducted but don't be afraid to remind students about proper care when you see a violation. Stopping something before it starts and constant reminding of proper use will ensure our Chromebooks will last.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard grumbling about this already. "Oh, now we have to ..., too." My comment is ... would you stop a student from carving up or sticking things on a textbook? Same difference, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!