Monday, July 14, 2014

My Thoughts on Going 1:1 Part 5

This is the fifth post in a multi-part series for the Summer of 2014

I wanted to share some of my thoughts, ideas, suggestions, helpful tips on embarking on our digital learning initiative (aka 1:1 with Chromebooks) at the Senior High.

My First Classroom
Now, before you say, "What does Mickie know about teaching in a 1:1 classroom?", consider where I have been. I spent seventeenish years as a business teacher. I worked for three different school districts during that time. In each school my "classroom" was a computer lab. Each of my students had a computer to use during my classes. I was 1:1 before 1:1 was a thing! So I do think I have something to offer when it comes to teaching in a 1:1 classroom environment.

This series of blog posts will give you some "food for thought" when it comes to each of your students having a device to use during your classes. I am by no means saying "Do it this way!" Rather, I am giving you some things to consider from the perspective of someone who has been there.

Structuring a lesson involving technology can be challenging, but you have all done it before. How will this change now that each student has their own device to use every day? When I was in the classroom, I was teaching technology so my students used the computers from the time the bell rang to begin class to the time the bell rang to end class. But that was my class. The vast majority of you are not teaching technology. So your challenge is to figure out when it is appropriate to use technology in the scope of your lesson. Is it possible that you could conduct an entire lesson and not have the students use their Chromebooks? Sure. But, could you add the use of the Chromebook to your lesson somehow? Bell ringers or exit tickets are a great way to make use of the Chromebooks and could be used in every classroom, every day. Tools like Socrative or Kahoot or Geddit are great to check for understanding during class. Need to do a quiz? Why not use a Google Form? A Google Form is easy to create and can do the grading for you! Want to have a discussion? Why not try a Padlet wall? Student ask a question that no one knows the answer to? Have the students Google it and see who can come up with the correct answer first.

There are all sorts of small ways you can take advantage of having the Chromebooks in your classroom. You don't have to start with a full blown, technology only project. Just start small. It is okay. And it is okay to ask for help. That is what I am here for. Invite me into your classroom and let me see how I can help you. I have ideas! Just ask my husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!