Monday, July 21, 2014

My Thoughts on Going 1:1 Part 6

This is the sixth post in a multi-part series for the Summer of 2014

I wanted to share some of my thoughts, ideas, suggestions, helpful tips on embarking on our digital learning initiative (aka 1:1 with Chromebooks) at the Senior High.

My First Classroom
Now, before you say, "What does Mickie know about teaching in a 1:1 classroom?", consider where I have been. I spent seventeenish years as a business teacher. I worked for three different school districts during that time. In each school my "classroom" was a computer lab. Each of my students had a computer to use during my classes. I was 1:1 before 1:1 was a thing! So I do think I have something to offer when it comes to teaching in a 1:1 classroom environment.

This series of blog posts will give you some "food for thought" when it comes to each of your students having a device to use during your classes. I am by no means saying "Do it this way!" Rather, I am giving you some things to consider from the perspective of someone who has been there.

In this post I am going to introduce you to the SAMR Model. The SAMR Model was developed by Dr. Ruben Puentedura to assist teachers in integrating technology into teaching and learning. The letters stand for Substitution, Augmentation, Modification and Redefinition. This model can also be viewed as a progression of how teachers integrate technology into teaching and learning. Most teachers start at the Substitution level and work their way up as they become more comfortable with integrating technology.

I am fully aware that some of you are already above the line at Modification and Redefinition. And others of you have yet to really dip your toe into the water yet. With the Chromebooks, some of you may feel like you are jumping head first into the deep end, especially if you haven't done a lot of technology integration yet.

So, Jake and I would like to give each of you a goal. And that goal is by the end of the first semester, you have attempted something at either the Substitution or Augmentation level. Here are some simple ideas for these levels:

Substitution
  • Instead of students taking notes with paper and pencil, they take notes on the Chromebooks
  • Instead of students taking a quiz with paper and pencil, they take a quiz using Google Forms
  • Instead of having a student ask a question and you not knowing the answer and waiting until the next day to tell students the correct answer, have students have a Google race to find the correct answer
Augmentation
  • Instead of students taking a quiz with paper and pencil, they take a Socrative quiz and receive immediate feedback on how they did
  • Instead of holding a class discussion where only the "chatty" or "brave" students take part, use a backchannel tool like Today's Meet or Padlet and have all students participate
  • Instead of students writing a report or paragraph on a particular topic, have students use Movenote to demonstrate their understanding of the topic
Still not sure about this SAMR thing? I would love to sit down with you and see how I can help you get started using technology in your classroom.

In next week's post, I will take a closer look at the levels above the line, Modification and Redefinition. Until then, the following video is of Dr. Puentedura explaining the SAMR model.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!